smalltalk - October 2023
smalltalk…supporting the early years sector in Wales for over 30-years.
Published since spring 1986, and mailed free of charge to all Early Years Wales members. smalltalk is the must-read title for early years education and early years childcare providers in Wales.
Whether you are looking for ideas to implement within the setting or to help you with your training and development, wanting to keep up to date with the latest curriculum changes or changes in legislation, our 64-page, fully bilingual, full-colour magazine is packed full of articles to inspire you to embed and inform high-quality practice, whilst continuing to run a successful business.
Welcome to the October 2023 edition of smalltalk
What’s on the cover?
Celebrating the Early Years Sector in Wales. Turn to page 5 where we bring you a full round-up of events from our awards and conference in June.
- Beverley Dickinson, manager of Tiddlers Wraparound, Trethomas and qualified Froebelian Tutor sets out the Froebelian approach on page 16 and demonstrates why Froebel is still considered an important influence today and how his philosophy is reflected in the Curriculum for funded non-maintained nursery settings.
- Angharad Harrop is a Dance Artist who took part in the pilot project 'Creative Learning in the Early Years', a joint initiative between the Arts Council of Wales, Early Years Wales and the Welsh Government supported by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation. In her article on page 22, Angharad looks at how opportunities for creative movement can support you with your implementation of the Curriculum for funded non-maintained nursery settings.
Food and Nutrition Guidance for Childcare Settings
Launched by the Welsh Government in 2018, the Food and Nutrition Guidance for Childcare Settings is a practical user-friendly resource to help settings support children to eat well and to meet the childcare regulations for food and drink. Implementing the guidance means that parents can be reassured that settings are offering the best start for their children. Turn to page 10 for all the information you need and where to find it!
Safeguarding Thresholds (page 14)
In Wales, there can never be a 'one size fits all' approach to safeguarding. In her article Nicole James, Senior Training Officer at New Pathways talks us through how we look at each child individually and determine what is in thier best interests - prevention or protection.
Neonatal Leave and Pay Act 2023
What we know so far. On page 13, specialist HR Consultant for Early Years and Childcare, Imogen Edmunds, Redwing HR, talks us through what we know so far about the new Act when it comes into force in April 2025.
Read on for a full list of contents...
4. Playgroups healthy eating project to have long lasting impact on the whole community
Find out how funding for a healthy eating project can benefit the community for generations to come.
5. Celebrating the Early Years Sector in Wales
We bring you a full round-up of events from our awards and conference in June.
10. Food and Nutrition for childcare settings
It’s been five years since the Welsh Government launched the Food & Nutrition guidance for childcare settings. Here’s a reminder of the importance of this valuable resource and where you can find it.
13. Neonatal Leave and Pay Act 2023.
Here’s what we know so far about the new Neonatal Leave and Pay Act 2023.
14. Just what is the threshold for safeguarding?
New Pathways is Early Years Wales latest delivery partner for safeguarding training. In this article Nicole James from New Pathways emphasises how we need to look at each child individually and determine their best interests.
16. Curriculum – Talking Point
Connecting Froebelian Principles to support the implementation of the curriculum for funded non-maintained nursery settings.
20. Everyone deserves a well-furnished home
Enfys is a reuse and restore charity based in Swansea. We hear how their work helps families across South Wales by giving them the right to a good nights sleep.
22. Creative Movement in the Early Years
How opportunities for creative movement can support you with your implementation of the Curriculum for non-maintained funded nursery settings.
26. Early Years Museum Visits
Amgueddfa Cymru - Museum Wales has seven family-friendly museums across Wales waiting to be explored by you and your settings
29. CIW Childcare and Play Improvement Project
CIW update us on how the recent project will update and inform future inspection methodology.
30. Empowering Lives through Mindfulness Education
The fall-out from the pandemic has taken its toll on the well-being and mental health of children and practitioners, we give you an introduction to how you can help to alleviate some of the stress currently being experienced in your settings.
32. Community Playthings; inspiring play and endless possibilities since 1947.
Some more snaps of our Awards winners and their prizes…